Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Am I asking too much from my boyfriend?

Hi all,

So, I have been dating my boyfriend for a little over a year now and everything is going great. But, this is me we are talking about so of course I can find something wrong in everything going on in my life, ahh..good times. =)

My boyfriend, Max, is great. He is handsome, sweet, funny, smart laid-back and just a wonderful person. He cooks, he is thoughtful and he is basically my best friend.

However, like everyone he has a couple of things I consider flaws, which of course I will list below in my blog for everyone to comment on because that is what normal girlfriends do =P

These are in no particular order:

1)  Even though he claims he knows and understands fashion trends he does not dress for any occasion:

     1a) For example, the first time he met one of my closest friends was when I picked her up from the airport and took her out to lunch. My wonderful man wore a T-shirt and wait for it ...swimming trunks. He claimed because it was around 90 degrees outside that he made this choice. Also, he stated these are the only shorts he has, which is probably true since I have seen his wardrobe. His wardrobe consists of mostly t-shirts and jeans since he is a construction worker. Keep in mind, this is the first time he is meeting her and you would think that maybe he would at least put on a decent pair of pants but no....he went with swimming trunks. Mind you, he can afford to buy clothes, he is middle-class. He also, has dressed in dirty jeans with huge holes in them when he met one of my other close girlfriends in the city for a very nice dinner.
     
     1b) One of his close friends, had a beautiful wedding at a Hilton Hotel. I told him a month before the wedding, "Hon, you should buy a suit for the wedding because it will be at a nice hotel and catered, etc..." So, he called his friend, the groom, and asked him about the dress code. His friend of course told him not to worry come in whatever you want to wear. After he told me what his friend stated, I countered with the argument, "It is your friend's wedding, he has other things to think about then what the hell you are wearing, so of course he will tell you come as you want to." He didn't pay me anything mind. So we go to the wedding, I dress like a decent human being in a nice blue dress, he dresses in a wrinkled gray shirt and non-pressed dress pants. (Honestly, it is the best I have seen him dress up) So, we go to the wedding and everyone is dress to the nines, I mean his friends who could not afford suits because they got laid off were dressed in ironed-shirts and ties, they knew the appropriate attire to wear to a wedding! My man wouldn't even buy a tie for the occasion of his close friend's wedding.

     1c) Now, I usually ignore my father when he speaks but there are some things that he states that make sense about human males. For instance, he stated once "A man should always have at least two decent suits." I actually agree with him on this point because it makes sense! Max doesn't owed shorts..so of course it is very unlikely that he would own a suit. You can get a cheap suit for like $50 but not my man he would rather spend that money on a retro Super Nes system so that him and his friends can drink and play Super Mario Brothers until sunrise.

2) He will not cut his hair for any event:
   
     2a) When he met my parents for the first time, didn't bother cut his hair.

     2b)  When my family from around the world came for Christmas last year and I invited him to dinner, he came but of course didn't cut his hair.

     2c) Our first New Year's eve together - wouldn't cut his hair.

     2d) He finally, decided to cut his hair, not on any special event or occasion but about 8 months after we started dating in February he decided to get a hair cut because...he was depressed. Since he doesn't work in the winter he was feeling sad and bored. Every occasion that I had listed above I asked him to get a hair cut, he didn't bother. but, when he is doing nothing at home and doesn't actually need to, that is when he decides to be a groomed man.
    
Actually, those are the only issue I have with him. Well, he can be too nice to people and give them the benefit of the doubt 99% of the time but I do that as well.

I hate nagging him about getting proper attire for events and cutting his hair. I hate being the bitchy girlfriend but I really can't help it. I am not the most glamours person, please I dress in jeans and a t-shirt almost every damn day! I don't care if he dresses the way he wants on most days but it is like he grew up with no parents to say "hey, give a shit about what you are wearing, this is a special occasion dammit!"

I sometimes feel I am dating a twelve year-old. When I feel I am being bitchy or nagging him, I think back about my ex-boyfriends, especially Ron, who was one of the worse ones when it came to fashion. He was not only an asshole in all life( I pray every night he gets hit back a truck and burns in hell) but he always made me feel like shit because he felt he was God's gift to fashion when I have more style than him on any given day. but, when I think about how Ron and other exes treated me I realize that Max is a great freaking guy and I just need to let it go about him dressing like he shops at Homeless-R-Us and can't afford a $6 haircut.

As of now, I already know I can not invited him to come with me to any of my family weddings or fancy dinners.  Even my mother who is the nicest person to him asked me "Why does he dress like a bum?"

But, I actually would like your opinion, the public bloggers out there, do you think I am putting to much emphasis that my boyfriend dresses like we have been hit with a nuclear bomb and the only clothes available are the ones dragged in the mud and stomped on?

Please email me, click: Lisa's Blog!