Monday, May 11, 2015

Reporting Ignorance and Unprofessional-ism at Local Duane Reade store


My boyfriend and I went into the Rosedale Duane Reade store located on Merrick Blvd and 230th Ave, on Saturday at 5:20 PM to purchase cigarettes. Upon entering the store, I spoke to the cashier on duty, and asked for a pack of cigarettes from behind the counter. She looked at me and said, "I will not sell you cigarettes." I look fairly young so I thought she just wanted to see my valid NY state issued ID. So, I said, "Here is my ID". She then said, "No, I will not sell you any cigarettes, you had an issue with a Manager before. Go to another store and purchase your cigarettes."

I did not understand what was going on at this point but my boyfriend piped in and stated, "I'll just buy her the cigarettes, then." At this point the store manager looked at my boyfriend and stated, "No, you cannot buy HER any cigarettes."   I figured okay, obviously they think I am underage, so let me show them my valid ID once AGAIN. The store manager would not even look at my ID they just REFUSED to service us.  The general manager told my boyfriend, "I have the right not to serve cigarettes, to anyone I choose."

My boyfriend and I kept trying to tell them they were confusing me with someone else. I even asked them, "If you think I have done something wrong in this store previously please just show me a photo, video or tell me the name of the person you think I am. I will show you my ID and you will see that I am not this person you are mistaking me for." My boyfriend asked the cashier, "Are you 100% sure this is the same girl you had an issue with in this store." The cashier said, "No, I am not 100% sure."  Yet, she and the store manager still would not serve us.  On top of that, the cashier continued to take customers, laugh and snicker at my boyfriend and me when we animatedly tried to get answers from her and the store manager.

My boyfriend ended up calling 911 to try and get the police over to the store so that we can resolve this issue. We waited three hours for the police to show up, but they did not call us until 10:41 PM. By that time the store was close and we were no longer at the Duane Reade store.

I truly believe they had an issue with someone else before I got there and I might have looked similar to this person. I understand that sometimes there may be some cases of mistaken identity when cashiers and store managers have to deal with numerous customers. However, for them to flat out not service me without giving me any reason and ignoring me and my boyfriend when we keep asking for a valid reason and proof that I did something wrong shows lack of professionalism and ignorance. I used to work in Duane Reade corporate office and I cannot believe this is the way they treat customers who have done nothing wrong.

What strikes me as odd is if they did have an issue with someone else wouldn't they have a picture or a name to go with this person? Duane Reade has cameras in their store yet they wouldn't even look up the incident that they are accusing me of to make sure I am the person they are talking about. The manager and cashier just decided not to serve us because I MAY be the person they had an issue with before.

I believe if I have to deal with those employees again, they will not service me and it is unjust since I did not do anything wrong and they are accusing me of being someone else. I called Duane Reade and filed a complaint against the two employees and they stated they would investigate this issue. However, at this point I do not know what else I can do to handle this situation. I feel hurt, humiliated and angry that a Duane Reade store would treat any customer the way my boyfriend and I were treated and get away with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment